Facebook circle blue large

vets in bath

EMERGENCIES 01928 733 228


01928 733228

Making a pet insurance claim at Ashcroft Veterinary Surgery.

If your pet is insured and you wish to make a claim from your insurance provider for any treatment fees please check through the following questions.



Is the treatment covered by my pet insurance policy?


Some dental treatment, special diets, behavioural treatments, hydrotherapies etc may not be covered. The practice can advise but the final decision rests with your insurer.



Is there more than one condition to claim?


Each condition will be liable to a separate excess payment and the component costs have to be accurately attributed to each condition claimed.



What and how much is the excess payment?


This information is detailed on your policy document.

If you bring this with you to the practice our receptionists can explain this payment.



Do the total fees for each condition exceed the policy excess amount?


The initial fees may not reach the excess and no claim can be made. But if your pet is given repeated treatments for the same illness or if the condition reoccurs within the policy year, then the excess may eventually be exceeded and you could make a claim.



Have you obtained a claim form from your insurer for the vet to complete?


Please obtain a form from your insurer either by post or download from the insurers Internet website. Fill in all of the relevant sections (especially your policy number) and give the completed form to our receptionist when treatment commences. NB Ensure that the Policy Holder signs the form!



How are the payments made?


Normally, you would pay the Veterinary treatment fees to the practice as usual. Then the claim form is completed by the vet and submitted to the insurance company, which reimburses the fee to you. The money you receive will be the total claim amount, minus your insurance excess.



Will my insurance company pay the veterinary practice directly?


Your insurer may allow payment of the Veterinary treatment fees directly to the practice. If you wish to use this method then you will have to sign the claim form in the relevant place in order to give consent. The practice will expect you to pay the excess at the outset of treatment, supply a completed claim form and proof of insurance i.e. the policy document. Then the claim form is completed by the Vet and sent to the insurance company, who should reimburse the practice. The amount paid is the total fee claim minus the excess fee. Should the insurer refuse to pay all or part of the claim, the practice will contact you for payment. Then in the event of any dispute with the insurer the practice may try to arbitrate on your behalf although the insurers decision is final unless you wish to contact the insurance industry regulators or ombudsmen.



Do I only need the one claim form?


If your pet is receiving ongoing treatment, then you will need to submit regular claims forms to ensure regular reimbursement either to yourself or to the practice. You should obtain the forms in the same way as above, each time treatment is given to your pet.



Do I only have one excess payment to pay?


If you have a “cover for life” policy then please remember that the insurer charges one policy excess, per condition claimed, per year insured. If you are having the treatment fees paid directly to the practice then you will have to pay the practice one excess per condition, per year. If a treatment starts shortly before your policy anniversary then it is possible that two excesses become payable in very short succession.